Search this site
What a race!
Satish and his younger brother Tarun are having a race. It is a one-kilometre race. Satish is older than Tarun by three years and, so, has decided to give him a head start of 20 seconds. Thus, Tarun starts running 20 seconds earlier. Despite this early start, Satish beats Tarun by 40 metres.
Now, if Satish had given Tarun a start of 25 seconds instead of 20 seconds, both would have breasted the tape at the same instant. That is, both of them would have touched the finishing line at the same instant and there would have been neither a winner nor a loser.
Can you tell what are the speeds of Satish and Tarun?
Some useful links for
- Union Public Service Commission - www.upsc.gov.in
- IIT-Kharagpur - www.iitkgp.ac.in
- Indian Statistical Institute - www.isical.ac.in
- Indian Institute of Technology Madras - www.iitm.ac.in
- Indian Institute of Management, Ahmedabad - www.iimahd.ernet.in
- Indian Institute of Mass Commission - www.iimc.nic.in
- IIT Bombay - www.iitb.ac.in
- Indian School of Mines, Dhanbad - www.ismdhanbad.ac.in
- Birla Institute of Technology, Ranchi - www.bitmesra.ac.in
- Central Institute of Fisheries Nautical and Engineering Training - www.cifnet.nic.in
- Indian Institute of Information Technology, Allahabad (Deemed University) - www.iiita.ac.in
- Central Marine Fisheries Research Institute, Kochi - www.cmfri.com
- Tata Institute of Social Sciences, Mumbai - www.tiss.edu