Search this site
Set the labels right
I have three baskets. Unlike the picture above, the baskets that I have are fully covered and you cannot see the contents inside.
One of the baskets contains only eggs. Another basket contains only tomatoes. While the third basket contains both eggs and tomatoes.
Accordingly, I prepared three labels - "Eggs", "Tomatoes" and "Eggs and Tomatoes". I called my son and told him to paste the labels on the baskets according to their contents.
The son was in a hurry as his friends were calling him for a game of cricket. So, without looking into the baskets, he just pasted the labels arbitrarily.
In his hurry, the boy labelled all the baskets incorrectly. Thus, the basket labeled "Tomatoes" either contained no tomatoes or contained both tomatoes and eggs; the basket labeled "Eggs" either contained no eggs or contained both eggs and tomatoes; while the basket labeled "Eggs and Tomatoes" contained either eggs or tomatoes but not both.
I am also in a hurry. I have time to open the lid of just one basket, take out from it whatever it contains and, accordingly, label all the baskets correctly. Can you help me do that? Remember, just one basket has to be opened and only its content can be seen.
Some useful links for
- Union Public Service Commission - www.upsc.gov.in
- IIT-Kharagpur - www.iitkgp.ac.in
- Indian Statistical Institute - www.isical.ac.in
- Indian Institute of Technology Madras - www.iitm.ac.in
- Indian Institute of Management, Ahmedabad - www.iimahd.ernet.in
- Indian Institute of Mass Commission - www.iimc.nic.in
- IIT Bombay - www.iitb.ac.in
- Indian School of Mines, Dhanbad - www.ismdhanbad.ac.in
- Birla Institute of Technology, Ranchi - www.bitmesra.ac.in
- Central Institute of Fisheries Nautical and Engineering Training - www.cifnet.nic.in
- Indian Institute of Information Technology, Allahabad (Deemed University) - www.iiita.ac.in
- Central Marine Fisheries Research Institute, Kochi - www.cmfri.com
- Tata Institute of Social Sciences, Mumbai - www.tiss.edu