Search this site
Count Your Steps
Oh, how I wish I were young again!
The neighbour's 12-year-old son was leaping up the stairs two at a time. Now, I could not do that.
I was walking down, taking one step at a time. I had walked down seven steps when I saw the boy start from the bottom and make a rush for the top.
I continued walking down at my slow one-step pace. The boy climbed two steps at a time; he was an energetic little fellow.
There were still four steps left for me to walk down when I saw that the boy had already reached the top.
It is then that I let out a sigh and wished I were young again. It suddenly occurred to me that I had never counted the number of steps the staircase had. Can you help me figure out the number of steps from the information I have provided?
I will repeat the essential details:
1. I had walked down seven steps when the boy started from the bottom.
2. I had yet to walk down four steps to reach the bottom when the boy reached the top.
3. The boy had climbed two steps at a time throughout.
Some useful links for
- Union Public Service Commission - www.upsc.gov.in
- IIT-Kharagpur - www.iitkgp.ac.in
- Indian Statistical Institute - www.isical.ac.in
- Indian Institute of Technology Madras - www.iitm.ac.in
- Indian Institute of Management, Ahmedabad - www.iimahd.ernet.in
- Indian Institute of Mass Commission - www.iimc.nic.in
- IIT Bombay - www.iitb.ac.in
- Indian School of Mines, Dhanbad - www.ismdhanbad.ac.in
- Birla Institute of Technology, Ranchi - www.bitmesra.ac.in
- Central Institute of Fisheries Nautical and Engineering Training - www.cifnet.nic.in
- Indian Institute of Information Technology, Allahabad (Deemed University) - www.iiita.ac.in
- Central Marine Fisheries Research Institute, Kochi - www.cmfri.com
- Tata Institute of Social Sciences, Mumbai - www.tiss.edu