Search this site
Math in Playing Cards!
The problem with my friend, Ashish, is that he sees the world in terms of numbers - he tries to find math in everything!
He came to my house on a Sunday with a standard deck of playing cards. He wanted me to play cards, but I was in no mood for it. So, he chose to test my math skills instead.
He dealt some cards to me and some to himself from the deck and laid the rest aside. He then said to me, "If you give me a certain number of your cards I will have four times as many cards as you have. If I give you the same number of cards, I will have thrice as many cards as you have."
My head had already begun to swim, and I developed a terrible headache when Ashish asked me to tell him how many cards each of us had. Please help me figure out the number of cards with me and Ashish from the information provided.
Some useful links for
- Union Public Service Commission - www.upsc.gov.in
- IIT-Kharagpur - www.iitkgp.ac.in
- Indian Statistical Institute - www.isical.ac.in
- Indian Institute of Technology Madras - www.iitm.ac.in
- Indian Institute of Management, Ahmedabad - www.iimahd.ernet.in
- Indian Institute of Mass Commission - www.iimc.nic.in
- IIT Bombay - www.iitb.ac.in
- Indian School of Mines, Dhanbad - www.ismdhanbad.ac.in
- Birla Institute of Technology, Ranchi - www.bitmesra.ac.in
- Central Institute of Fisheries Nautical and Engineering Training - www.cifnet.nic.in
- Indian Institute of Information Technology, Allahabad (Deemed University) - www.iiita.ac.in
- Central Marine Fisheries Research Institute, Kochi - www.cmfri.com
- Tata Institute of Social Sciences, Mumbai - www.tiss.edu