Search this site
Oh No! Enough Handshaking
I promise this is the last handshake problem I will pose for a long time to come. Found this problem while searching for good brain teasers and could not avoid the temptation of carrying it here (I admit all the brain teasers in Youthaffairz are borrowed from here, there and everywhere. Good questions need to be appreciated, and they can be appreciated only if they are widely published. But I assure you that the answers are my own - the reason why they are likely to be wrong every time).
Prakash and his wife have been invited to a party. The party is attended by five other couples. Thus, there are six couples in all. This means there are twelve people - six men and six women.
When people meet, they shake hands or greet one another in other ways. At this party, people chose to shake hands or join their hands in a "namaste". Of course, a husband did not shake hands with his wife or vice versa. One cannot shake his or her own hands.
After the greeting session was over, Prakash wanted to know with how many people had each person shaken hands. So, he asked each person (including his wife) how many people they had shaken hands with. The question was, thus, addressed to eleven persons and Prakash received eleven different answers.
How many people did Prakash's wife shaken hands with?
Let me highlight the salient points of the question once again:
1. When Prakash asked the question, he received eleven different answers (no two persons gave the same answer).
2. There were no husband-wife handshakes.
The question is: How many people did Prakash's wife shake hands with?
Some useful links for
- Union Public Service Commission - www.upsc.gov.in
- IIT-Kharagpur - www.iitkgp.ac.in
- Indian Statistical Institute - www.isical.ac.in
- Indian Institute of Technology Madras - www.iitm.ac.in
- Indian Institute of Management, Ahmedabad - www.iimahd.ernet.in
- Indian Institute of Mass Commission - www.iimc.nic.in
- IIT Bombay - www.iitb.ac.in
- Indian School of Mines, Dhanbad - www.ismdhanbad.ac.in
- Birla Institute of Technology, Ranchi - www.bitmesra.ac.in
- Central Institute of Fisheries Nautical and Engineering Training - www.cifnet.nic.in
- Indian Institute of Information Technology, Allahabad (Deemed University) - www.iiita.ac.in
- Central Marine Fisheries Research Institute, Kochi - www.cmfri.com
- Tata Institute of Social Sciences, Mumbai - www.tiss.edu