Search this site
Who is the Winner?
The Das' and the Nairs are next-door neighbours, and are very good friends. Their friendship is cemented by their common love for the game of chess.
Mr and Mrs Das, and Mr and Mrs Nair get together every Sunday and play a chess tournament. The winner is treated to a lavish dinner by the remaining three.
Among the four of them they play three games; the loser in any game does not get to play further games. Thus, the winner of the first game plays the second game with any of the other two players. The winner of the second game plays the third game with the last player; whoever wins this game is the champion.
Last Sunday too the Das' and Nairs met for their customary chess competition. The salient features of this competition were as follows:
1. The first game was played between players who were married to each other. The remaining two games were between players who were unrelated to each other by marriage.
2. In the three games that were played, the men won two games while the women won only one game.
3. The Das' won more games than the Nairs.
4. Finally, as already stated, anyone who lost a game was out of the competition and could not play any more games.
From these details can you help me find out who got to enjoy the free dinner?
Some useful links for
- Union Public Service Commission - www.upsc.gov.in
- IIT-Kharagpur - www.iitkgp.ac.in
- Indian Statistical Institute - www.isical.ac.in
- Indian Institute of Technology Madras - www.iitm.ac.in
- Indian Institute of Management, Ahmedabad - www.iimahd.ernet.in
- Indian Institute of Mass Commission - www.iimc.nic.in
- IIT Bombay - www.iitb.ac.in
- Indian School of Mines, Dhanbad - www.ismdhanbad.ac.in
- Birla Institute of Technology, Ranchi - www.bitmesra.ac.in
- Central Institute of Fisheries Nautical and Engineering Training - www.cifnet.nic.in
- Indian Institute of Information Technology, Allahabad (Deemed University) - www.iiita.ac.in
- Central Marine Fisheries Research Institute, Kochi - www.cmfri.com
- Tata Institute of Social Sciences, Mumbai - www.tiss.edu