Search this site
A Sweet Affair!
During Holi, a fair was organised near my house. One of the main attractions at the fair was a contest.
In this contest, four kinds of sweets - a laddoo, a barfi, a gulab jamoon and a pedha - were placed on a table in full view of the participants. A curtain was then dropped blocking the participants' view and the sweets were rearranged and inverted cups were placed over each of them. The curtain was raised.
The participants had to correctly guess as to which sweet lay covered by which cup. Those who guessed all the four correctly were awarded prizes. The names of the sweets are displayed on a black-board so that participants did not forget the sweets they had been shown.
Now, 50 children participated in the contest. When the cups were removed to reveal the sweets, it turned out that 32 of them had not been able to identify even a single sweet correctly. Eight children had made one correct guess while getting the remaining three wrong, while six children had correctly identified two sweets and got the remaining two wrong.
The question is: Can you tell how many children made ONLY three correct guesses and how many of them got all the four right?
Some useful links for
- Union Public Service Commission - www.upsc.gov.in
- IIT-Kharagpur - www.iitkgp.ac.in
- Indian Statistical Institute - www.isical.ac.in
- Indian Institute of Technology Madras - www.iitm.ac.in
- Indian Institute of Management, Ahmedabad - www.iimahd.ernet.in
- Indian Institute of Mass Commission - www.iimc.nic.in
- IIT Bombay - www.iitb.ac.in
- Indian School of Mines, Dhanbad - www.ismdhanbad.ac.in
- Birla Institute of Technology, Ranchi - www.bitmesra.ac.in
- Central Institute of Fisheries Nautical and Engineering Training - www.cifnet.nic.in
- Indian Institute of Information Technology, Allahabad (Deemed University) - www.iiita.ac.in
- Central Marine Fisheries Research Institute, Kochi - www.cmfri.com
- Tata Institute of Social Sciences, Mumbai - www.tiss.edu