Search this site
A family affair!
My friend, 'F', has invited me to his home for a birthday party. There are six members in the family - all of them adults. A highly-respected family, all the members are professionals.
I can't name them because that will reveal their genders. I would, therefore, like to call them A, B, C, D, E and F (who is my friend).
All the six members, as I have already stated, are professionals. There is in the family an architect, a doctor, an engineer, a classical singer, a lawyer, and a journalist.
The poser is to determine the profession of each member, their gender, and the relationships among them from the following clues:
1. The doctor is the grandfather of 'F' who is a journalist.
2. The doctor had wanted his grand-daughter to be a doctor like him but that didn't happen.
3. The classical singer, 'D', is married to 'A'.
4. The architect, 'C', is married to the lawyer.
5. 'B' is the mother of 'E' and 'F'.
6. There are two married couples in the family.
7. There are no widows or widowers.
From these clues, please help me to determine the professions of each member of the family, their respective genders, and the relationships among them.
Some useful links for
- Union Public Service Commission - www.upsc.gov.in
- IIT-Kharagpur - www.iitkgp.ac.in
- Indian Statistical Institute - www.isical.ac.in
- Indian Institute of Technology Madras - www.iitm.ac.in
- Indian Institute of Management, Ahmedabad - www.iimahd.ernet.in
- Indian Institute of Mass Commission - www.iimc.nic.in
- IIT Bombay - www.iitb.ac.in
- Indian School of Mines, Dhanbad - www.ismdhanbad.ac.in
- Birla Institute of Technology, Ranchi - www.bitmesra.ac.in
- Central Institute of Fisheries Nautical and Engineering Training - www.cifnet.nic.in
- Indian Institute of Information Technology, Allahabad (Deemed University) - www.iiita.ac.in
- Central Marine Fisheries Research Institute, Kochi - www.cmfri.com
- Tata Institute of Social Sciences, Mumbai - www.tiss.edu