Search this site
What's in a Name? Everything!
I have a friend; actually, I have several friends but Sudhanshu stands out among them for his quirky behavior.
He is a good-natured soul. Time simply flies in Sudhanshu's company; he always has a fresh stock of jokes and humorous incidents to relate that leaves us clutching our tummies from non-stop laughter.
But as I said he is quirky. In the simmering summer when everyone craves for a cold drink, he invariably seeks out a tea stall to have a steaming cup of tea. In the winter when all of us make for the nearest tea stall, he orders a cold drink!
If Sudhanshu has any regret in life it is his inability to speak fluent English. One day we saw him wearing a hat and a tie. When we asked him the reason for this, he said he was learning English, and the hat and tie will expedite the learning process! That's my friend for you!
Sudhanshu has a cat and a dog for pets. Now, going against all laws of nature which requires that dogs should bare their fangs at cats and cats should hiss and spit at the sight of dogs, Kitty and Doggy are the best of friends. It is perhaps because some good nature of their master has rubbed into them.
The dog is very playful, and he welcomes friends and strangers alike by jumping at them and licking their faces. Sudhanshu has hung a board on the gate which warns, "Beware of Doggy". So, people who visit his home for the first time cast furtive glances everywhere and inquire whether Doggy bites. "Does Doggy bite?" the question perturbs Sudhanshu very much. "Oh, no! SHE is the most gentle creature on the earth." The guest ignores the wrong pronoun as a slip of the tongue.
If the guest is not to Sudhanshu's liking, he calls out, "Kitty, come here." The guest is certain that Sudhanshu wishes to feed the cat and give her some milk.
The guest's good humour does not last long. Following Sudhanshu's persistent calling, a dog rushes into the room and proceeds to give the guest a wonderful lick.
But why did the dog come when Sudhanshu had called out to Kitty? The answer is quite simple. Sudhanshu has named his cat "Doggy" and his dog is the proud possessor of the name "Kitty"!
Some useful links for
- Union Public Service Commission - www.upsc.gov.in
- IIT-Kharagpur - www.iitkgp.ac.in
- Indian Statistical Institute - www.isical.ac.in
- Indian Institute of Technology Madras - www.iitm.ac.in
- Indian Institute of Management, Ahmedabad - www.iimahd.ernet.in
- Indian Institute of Mass Commission - www.iimc.nic.in
- IIT Bombay - www.iitb.ac.in
- Indian School of Mines, Dhanbad - www.ismdhanbad.ac.in
- Birla Institute of Technology, Ranchi - www.bitmesra.ac.in
- Central Institute of Fisheries Nautical and Engineering Training - www.cifnet.nic.in
- Indian Institute of Information Technology, Allahabad (Deemed University) - www.iiita.ac.in
- Central Marine Fisheries Research Institute, Kochi - www.cmfri.com
- Tata Institute of Social Sciences, Mumbai - www.tiss.edu