Search this site
Disadvantages of technology!
It was a tiring day at the office, and I was still immersed neck-deep in work. I needed a break. A refreshing cup of tea and a brisk five-minute walk is what I urgently needed at the moment.
My office is located on the fifth floor of a building, and the tea-stall is situated across the road. I, therefore, prefer to have some company while going out for tea.
I punched a message on the keyboard inviting Rakesh, my office colleague, to accompany me knowing fully well that he too craves for a "cuppa" at this time of the hour. "Hi, care for some tea?" I clicked on the "send" button, and sent the message across the office's internal communication system.
After some time, I found at least ten office colleagues, including Rakesh, approaching me.
"Let's go," they cried out in unison.
"Where to?" I asked.
"For a cup of tea, where else? You have invited us," Sanjeev told me. "I am feeling a bit hungry, it would be great if you order some hot pakodas as well," he put in.
I was rather surprised. I had invited only Rakesh, but the whole gang had turned up. It must be Rakesh's doing, he must have brought the others along with him, I thought.
"Hey, I had invited only Rakesh," I was desperately blunt. I could afford to be blunt because we were chums after all.
"Shut up now," Sanjeev said. "Like a good boy, lead the way and treat us to tea and don't forget the pakodas. All of us are here after receiving your message. We have not come uninvited," he added.
Then it dawned upon me! Instead of sending the message only to Rakesh, I must have sent it as a multicast.
So the gang had a good time at my expense. They had tea, pakodas and even samosas. Technology has it advantages, but it has its disadvantages too. A single error, and I had to treat the whole gang!
Some useful links for
- Union Public Service Commission - www.upsc.gov.in
- IIT-Kharagpur - www.iitkgp.ac.in
- Indian Statistical Institute - www.isical.ac.in
- Indian Institute of Technology Madras - www.iitm.ac.in
- Indian Institute of Management, Ahmedabad - www.iimahd.ernet.in
- Indian Institute of Mass Commission - www.iimc.nic.in
- IIT Bombay - www.iitb.ac.in
- Indian School of Mines, Dhanbad - www.ismdhanbad.ac.in
- Birla Institute of Technology, Ranchi - www.bitmesra.ac.in
- Central Institute of Fisheries Nautical and Engineering Training - www.cifnet.nic.in
- Indian Institute of Information Technology, Allahabad (Deemed University) - www.iiita.ac.in
- Central Marine Fisheries Research Institute, Kochi - www.cmfri.com
- Tata Institute of Social Sciences, Mumbai - www.tiss.edu