Search this site
Slave to the Mobile Phone
I usually receive quite a few calls on my mobile phone on any given day. So, even four hours after reaching the office when I did not receive a single call, I was really surprised.
I thought my mobile phone must have gone to sleep as it does on many occasions. During such occurrences, I switch off the phone for a couple of minutes and, then, switch it on again. This does the trick and the phone comes back to life.
I, therefore, reached into my pocket to carry out the trick when I discovered that the good old mobile phone was not in the pocket.
In my hurry to leave for the office in the morning, I must have forgotten it at home, I surmised. However, a little fear kept nagging me: what if I had dropped it somewhere on the way? I was almost certain I had forgotten the cell phone at home, but the doubt persisted and troubled me.
The mobile had cost me quite a sum. Besides, I was worried about the possible misuse of the mobile phone if it fell into wrong hands.
I had to make sure. All that I had to do was to call up Ma at home and ask her to check whether the mobile phone was around.
I started frantically searching my desk.
"What are you looking for?" Ajit my office colleague asked.
I told him about my apprehensions.
"So, if you are sure you have left your mobile phone at home, what are you searching?" he repeated his question.
"I am searching for the mobile phone so that I can call up my home and ask Ma about it," I replied.
Ajit looked at me as if I had gone nuts and then broke into a loud guffaw.
I was a little taken aback at first and, then, when I realized what I was doing, I too broke into laughter. I really had gone nuts!
I picked up the office phone and called up Ma. The good old mobile phone was safe in the house.
Some useful links for
- Union Public Service Commission - www.upsc.gov.in
- IIT-Kharagpur - www.iitkgp.ac.in
- Indian Statistical Institute - www.isical.ac.in
- Indian Institute of Technology Madras - www.iitm.ac.in
- Indian Institute of Management, Ahmedabad - www.iimahd.ernet.in
- Indian Institute of Mass Commission - www.iimc.nic.in
- IIT Bombay - www.iitb.ac.in
- Indian School of Mines, Dhanbad - www.ismdhanbad.ac.in
- Birla Institute of Technology, Ranchi - www.bitmesra.ac.in
- Central Institute of Fisheries Nautical and Engineering Training - www.cifnet.nic.in
- Indian Institute of Information Technology, Allahabad (Deemed University) - www.iiita.ac.in
- Central Marine Fisheries Research Institute, Kochi - www.cmfri.com
- Tata Institute of Social Sciences, Mumbai - www.tiss.edu