Search this site
First Images from JWST
NASA has released the first images captured by the James Webb Space Telescope — an international collaboration between NASA, European Space Agency, and the Canadian Space Agency.
Among the images is one known as Webb's First Deep Field. It shows a galaxy cluster SMACS 0723 with thousands of galaxies.
Cosmic Cliffs looks like craggy mountains. It is really the edge of the giant gaseous activity within NGC 3324 — a young star-forming region in the Carina Nebula.
Stephan's Quintet is a visual grouping of five galaxies. One of the five galaxies is 40 million light-years from Earth, while the other four are about 290 million light-years away. Quite close in cosmic terms!
Images of the Southern Ring Nebula will allow astronomers to get a deeper understanding of planetary nebulae, which are clouds of gas and dust expelled by dying stars.
The JWST has also captured the distinct signature of water in the atmosphere surrounding WASP-96 b — one of more than 5,000 exoplanets in the Milky Way.
Source: The Infrared Universe Unfolds
Pig Hearts Transplanted Into Deceased
In a study aimed at evaluating the feasibility of xenotransplantation, a NYU Langone Health team transplanted genetically engineered pig hearts into two recently deceased persons maintained on ventilator support.
The xenotransplants were performed on June 16 and July 6, a NYU Langone Health press release said.
There was no transplant rejection, and the hearts functioned normally with standard post-transplant medications, the release said.
The hearts were procured from pigs and genetically modified to prevent rejection and abnormal organ growth.
The study could be carried out because of whole-body donation. The NYU Langone Transplant Institute has expressed gratitude to the families who volunteered to participate in this research.
Some useful links for
- Union Public Service Commission - www.upsc.gov.in
- IIT-Kharagpur - www.iitkgp.ac.in
- Indian Statistical Institute - www.isical.ac.in
- Indian Institute of Technology Madras - www.iitm.ac.in
- Indian Institute of Management, Ahmedabad - www.iimahd.ernet.in
- Indian Institute of Mass Commission - www.iimc.nic.in
- IIT Bombay - www.iitb.ac.in
- Indian School of Mines, Dhanbad - www.ismdhanbad.ac.in
- Birla Institute of Technology, Ranchi - www.bitmesra.ac.in
- Central Institute of Fisheries Nautical and Engineering Training - www.cifnet.nic.in
- Indian Institute of Information Technology, Allahabad (Deemed University) - www.iiita.ac.in
- Central Marine Fisheries Research Institute, Kochi - www.cmfri.com
- Tata Institute of Social Sciences, Mumbai - www.tiss.edu