Search this site
This is a feeble translation of a story by Bibhutibhusan Bandyopadhyay. The objective is merely to exhort readers to read the original or a better translation. Bibhutibhsan was a leading writer who is well known for his portrayal of rural Bengal. His best known work is Pother Panchali which was adapted into a film by Satyajit Ray. "Medal" verges on the supernatural and tells about the travails of a school teacher who comes in temporary possession of a medal that had been awarded to a soldier for an act of bravery during the Crimean War.
The art of lying!
The detective was about to reveal the name of the culprit when the doorbell rang. Let it ring, but I am not going to move unless I discover the truth, I said to myself. But the person outside, whoever it was, seemed to have their tail on fire, and jabbed the doorbell more viciously. The detective, too, was playing his part well and was trying to create an atmosphere before coming out with the secret; it was uncertain when he would point out the evil-doer. I had to abandon my resolve and, tearing myself away from the television set, went to open the door.
Clock or protractor?
I know clocks are meant to measure time and are not intended to measure angles. But, this was so remarkable that I cannot help mentioning it. I have a wooden protractor and I like to play with it. So I measure all kinds of angles; I particularly enjoy measuring the angle made by the hands of a clock at different times. One day I went out after measuring the angle made by the hands of the clock; I returned within an hour and measured the angle again. The angle was the same as before. Can you tell when I went out and what time I returned?
Some useful links for
- Union Public Service Commission - www.upsc.gov.in
- IIT-Kharagpur - www.iitkgp.ac.in
- Indian Statistical Institute - www.isical.ac.in
- Indian Institute of Technology Madras - www.iitm.ac.in
- Indian Institute of Management, Ahmedabad - www.iimahd.ernet.in
- Indian Institute of Mass Commission - www.iimc.nic.in
- IIT Bombay - www.iitb.ac.in
- Indian School of Mines, Dhanbad - www.ismdhanbad.ac.in
- Birla Institute of Technology, Ranchi - www.bitmesra.ac.in
- Central Institute of Fisheries Nautical and Engineering Training - www.cifnet.nic.in
- Indian Institute of Information Technology, Allahabad (Deemed University) - www.iiita.ac.in
- Central Marine Fisheries Research Institute, Kochi - www.cmfri.com
- Tata Institute of Social Sciences, Mumbai - www.tiss.edu