Search this site
This is only a poor translation of "Satyagraha", a humorous story by Munshi Premchand. The objective is merely to exhort readers to read the original or a better translation. It is a satire set in the pre-Independence era and in the heady days of the freedom struggle. The protagonist is Pandit Moteram Shashtri who enjoys a good life and good food. The Viceroy is scheduled to arrive on a visit to Benares, and the Congress has decided to protest against the visit by organizing a strike or "bandh". The Congress has requested traders and merchants to keep their shops and business establishments closed during the Viceroy's visit. It will be a slap on the face of the British government if the strike is a success. The government, therefore, wants the civil resistance agitation to fail. The supporters of the government devise a strategy and rope in Pandit Moteram Shashtri to assist them in this scheme; of course, he is to be adequately compensated for his assistance. The plan is simple: Pandit Moteram Shashtri should counter the Congress agitation by going on a hunger strike himself! The generally religious traders and merchants would be unwilling to support the Congress if they feel they were being compelled to perform an impious act. Does the plan succeed? Please read the story to find out.
What's in a name? Everything!
I have a friend - actually, I have several friends but he stands out among them for his quirky behavior. A good-natured soul, he is a bagful of jokes and humorous incidents. Time passes away in his company in a jiffy, and with the belly aching from non-stop laughing. But as I said he is quirky. In the simmering summer when everyone craves for a cold drink, he invariably seeks out a tea stall to have a steaming cup of tea. In the winter when all of us make for the nearest tea stall, he orders a cold drink! If Sudhanshu has any regret in life it is his inability to speak fluent English. One day we saw him wearing a hat and a tie. When we asked him the reason for this, he said he was learning English and the hat and tie will expedite the learning process! That is my friend for you!
Coconuts driving me nuts!
Five friends decided to jointly take up coconut cultivation. They started with a few coconut palms. The friends had trained a monkey to pluck the coconuts from the palms. It was harvest time and the monkey set about its job and plucked all the nuts. Now the coconuts have to be distributed equally among the five friends. Owing to the sleepiness of the friends there has been a terrible blunder in the distribution. The coconuts have to be redistributed. Please help in the redistribution.
Some useful links for
- Union Public Service Commission - www.upsc.gov.in
- IIT-Kharagpur - www.iitkgp.ac.in
- Indian Statistical Institute - www.isical.ac.in
- Indian Institute of Technology Madras - www.iitm.ac.in
- Indian Institute of Management, Ahmedabad - www.iimahd.ernet.in
- Indian Institute of Mass Commission - www.iimc.nic.in
- IIT Bombay - www.iitb.ac.in
- Indian School of Mines, Dhanbad - www.ismdhanbad.ac.in
- Birla Institute of Technology, Ranchi - www.bitmesra.ac.in
- Central Institute of Fisheries Nautical and Engineering Training - www.cifnet.nic.in
- Indian Institute of Information Technology, Allahabad (Deemed University) - www.iiita.ac.in
- Central Marine Fisheries Research Institute, Kochi - www.cmfri.com
- Tata Institute of Social Sciences, Mumbai - www.tiss.edu